Sadly for us all, Taylor is heading back up to Washington to farm with family. We’re going to miss him so!
That means we’re looking for a new Farm Manager of Bounty Community Farm. The description is in the link below; please share far and wide! This is a unique opportunity for the right person!
Community Farm Manager
The Bounty Community Farm plays an important role in helping transform Petaluma’s food system by growing healthy food for our community, engaging community members, and improving food literacy of all people through volunteer opportunities, field trips, and experiential education.
The Farm Manager coordinates and implements all aspects of the 2-acre educational farm with small orchard, including planning and production of a mix of crops for sale and distribution through a CSA, farm stand, and farmers markets, and co-managing volunteers and interns. The Farm Manager will work closely with, and report to the Programs Director in developing and implementing new program initiatives. The Farm Manager will also work closely with the Education & Engagement Coordinator on developing and implementing education, internship, and volunteer programs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work with Program Director to ensure operations stay within the annual budget
- Implement and improve organic crop plan, long-term soil fertility plan, production plan and pest management plan
- Oversee tillage and cultivation, including safe operation of farm equipment, irrigation, and greenhouse propagation
- Execute basic maintenance of farm facilities
- Maintain records and handle paperwork for county and state permits and certifications
- Supervise and manage farm staff and interns
- Coordinate volunteer and internship programs alongside Engagement & Education Coordinator
- Build upon distribution infrastructure for CSA, Bounty farm stand, Petaluma Farmers Market, donations, and retail sales
- Plan and implement propagation for annual Petaluma Bounty Plant Sale
- Represent Petaluma Bounty and Bounty Community Farm to the public and media
- Manage day to day operations of farm, delegating where appropriate, while periodically assessing progress toward annual goals
Skills and qualifications:
- Commitment to Petaluma Bounty’s mission and goals
- Commitment to organic, sustainable farming standards
- 3-5 years organic farming experience, including farm management and familiarity with CSA and Farmers Markets programs
- Ability to drive a tractor and utilize farm equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds
- Good CA DMV record
- Experience and ability to coordinate volunteers
- Experience and ability to teach diverse audiences at varying skill levels
- Demonstrated communications and interpersonal skills
- Experience and ability working with people of all ages from diverse ethnic and cultural background
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Excellent record-keeping and Computer literate and proficient in Word, Excel, and Google Docs
- Flexible and understands unique challenges of farming in community and commitment to meeting those challenges on a daily basis
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish is highly recommended
Compensation: $30 – 32,000 per year, depending on experience plus full medical, dental benefits, paid vacation, etc.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and a cover letter to [email protected], with “Farm Manager Applicant” in subject. Interviews scheduled on a rolling basis. Approximate start date is mid to late January.
PPSC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, physical disabilities or medical condition (i.e., AIDS or ARC-related or cancer) or any other category protected by Federal or State law in hiring, promoting, demoting, training, benefits, transfers, layoffs, terminations, recommendations, rates of pay or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.