After three great years as the Bounty Community Farm Manager, Farmer Lennie is moving on to work full time on expanding her flower farm and design business (B-Side Farm). We wish Lennie the greatest success and look forward to keeping in touch.
In the mean time, please share the Farm Manager Job Description far and wide so we can find our next outstanding Community Farm Manager. Applications (resume and cover letter) will be accepted at [email protected] on a rolling basis and we will start interviewing for the right candidate by 12/16/15. Ideal start date is approximately 1/15/16. Due to the expected number of applicants, we will not be able to respond individually to each application. Thank you for your understanding.
Bounty Community Farm Manager
The Bounty Community Farm plays an important role in helping transform Petaluma’s food system by growing healthy food for the Petaluma community, engaging community members, and improving food literacy of all people through volunteer opportunities, field trips, and experiential education.
The Farm Manager coordinates and implements all aspects of the two-acre educational farm with small orchard, including planning and production of a mix of crops for sale and distribution through a CSA, farm stand, and farmers markets; coordinating volunteers, and managing farm staff and interns. The Farm Manager will work closely with, and report to the Programs Director in developing and implementing new program initiatives.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create an annual budget and production plan and ensure implementation
- Develop and implement organic crop plan, long-term soil fertility plan, and pest management plan
- Oversee tillage and cultivation, including safe operation of farm equipment, irrigation, and greenhouse propagation
- Execute basic maintenance of farm facilities
- Maintain records and handle paperwork for county and state permits and certifications
- Supervise and manage farm staff and interns
- Coordinate and develop volunteers
- Develop distribution infrastructure for CSA, Bounty farm stand, Petaluma Farmers Market, donations and retail sales
- Plan and implement propagation for annual Petaluma Bounty Plant Sale
- Represent Petaluma Bounty and Bounty Community Farm to the public and media
- Manage day to day operations of farm, delegating where appropriate, while periodically assessing progress toward annual goals
Skills and qualifications:
- Commitment to Petaluma Bounty’s mission and goals
- Commitment to organic, sustainable farming standards
- 3-5 years organic farming experience, including farm management and familiarity with CSA and Farmers Markets programs
- Ability to drive a tractor and utilize farm equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds regularly up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to do physical labor up to 8 hours daily outdoors
- Good CA DMV record
- Experience and ability to coordinate volunteers
- Experience and ability to teach diverse audiences at varying skill levels
- Demonstrated communications and interpersonal skills
- Experience and ability working with people of all ages from diverse ethnic and cultural background
- Self-motivated and self-managing
- Excellent record-keeping
- Computer literate and proficient in Word, Excel, and Google Docs
- Flexible and understands unique challenges of farming in community and commitment to meeting those challenges on a daily basis
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish is highly recommended
Compensation: $28-31,000 per year, depending on experience, plus full benefits, sick time and vacation.