Petaluma Bounty is supporting the launch of a network of home gardeners who want to share extra plants with neighbors in need. This new initiative is called getstarted and they are recruiting home gardeners today! See their description and request below!
getstarted is a timely, emergent initiative addressing the increased, pandemic-related food insecurity in our community, and YOU are the key to its success!
getstarted provides *complimentary* edible plant “Start Kits”—including small containers, soil and seed packets—to enthusiastic home gardeners, to sow, tend, and return, sharing the established plant starts *free of charge* with neighboring under-resourced families. Your involvement not only contributes to supplementing families’ immediate and future food needs with on-going, fresh, nutritious produce, but also nurtures new gardeners, who undoubtedly will experience the joys of growing some of their own food.
- There is no cost to participate, either as a home gardener “Starter” or recipient “Grower.”
- getstarted is prepared to provide 300 kits, so please spread the word, and kindly RSVP your planned “Starter” participation, including your name and number of requested kits to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, August 5th.
- Come pick up your Start Kit at Petaluma Bounty on Saturday, August 8 from 2-5pm.
- Return your Start Kits when you come to Petaluma Bounty’s inaugural Fall Plant Sale on Sunday, September 6 from 9am-3pm!
- Established starts, along with educational and resource information, will be distributed to families receiving food assistance within a week, for fall and winter growing season enjoyment!
getstarted and Petaluma Bounty would like to thank Petaluma Seedbank and Swallowtail Garden Seed for seed donation, Grab n’ Grow for providing soil media, and Friedman’s Home Supply for gardening supplies.
For more info, visit www.getstarted.garden (yes, that’s .garden!)