The 5th Annual Martin Luther King Day of National Service at Bounty Community Farm was an incredible success for our community! The day brought together around 40 people, gathering community members who were ready to act for positive social change. Click HERE for a Photo Album of the day.
On the MLK Day of Service at Bounty Community Farm, we were able to accomplish the following, in efforts to grow healthy food for everyone in our community:
- Weed and mulch the hoop house, which houses plant starts in the growing season
- Maintain the culvert at the farm by cutting back blackberry and allowing passage of running water
- Weed and mulch 5 rows of our beautiful orchard!
- Prune, weed and maintain the native hedgerow, which invites pollinators to our crops
- Weed and mulch perennial plant beds
Additionally, we celebrated the life and words of Martin Luther King Jr., by sharing his words in community. People brought words written and spoken by MLK that had a profound effect on them, and read or recited them to the group. As the MLK National Day of Service organization writes, “The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. federal holiday is a perfect opportunity for Americans to honor Dr. King’s legacy through service. The MLK Day of Service empowers individuals, strengthens communities, bridges barriers, creates solutions to social problems, and moves us closer to Dr. King’s vision of a beloved community.”
The next Saturday Service Day at Bounty Farm will be February 11th, from 10am-1pm. We hope to see you there!